Well, to top off a bad day with a horrendous period, I got a phone call from Bubba’s school that one little friend had been sent home with a stomach bug and that my little one had thrown up all of his lunch. I left work, picked him up and we snuggled the rest of the day. Between changing horribly nasty diapers and awful cramping, we managed some real quality time. Fortunately, he seemed to do well after a bottle of Pedialyte…went off to bed and didn’t wake until 3:30a when he just wanted a quick nurse and then back to bed until 6:20a. Not bad!
We headed to Boston at 8:30a this morning and arrived at the Surgeon’s office where we sat and waited for a half hour. First we met with a PA who looked at my excision and incision and then asked if I had received my pathology results. Um, no! I was told I had to come in to get those hence our driving two hours for a 15 minute appointment. Normally that sort of thing wouldn’t bother me but my period is really doing a number on me. She then told us that my lymph nodes did not show any cancer! Yippee!! I was so excited…thinking how great it was that this whole ordeal was over. First, hubby brought me to back to reality when I happily said, “Yeah! No treatments!!” He says, “Well, she didn’t say that.” Gee, thanks, babe!
Dr. Tanabe, my surgeon, then came in and was very happy to see how well I was healing. I figured he was gonna say that I needed to come back on 3 months and to have a happy holiday. Nope! He proceeded to go over my path results and then pointed out that none of the tests that I had gone through, including the surgery, could 100% rule out that there wasn’t cancer lurking somewhere, hidden from sight. What a buzzkill! He then said that because of the thickness of the melanoma that was removed, my chances for recurrence were high. I braced myself cause I knew what was coming…a visit to the Oncologist. Yep, as soon as possible too! He felt that I need to meet with the oncologist within the next few weeks to discuss my options in order to less the odds of recurrence. With that, the appointment ended.
So, we’re headed back to Boston on the 28th to meet with Dr. Lawrence in Oncology and I assume weigh my options of treatment. From my reading, I would assume radiation would be recommended since chemotherapy is not considered a good option for melanoma and immunotherapy is, I believe, only used in Stage III and Stage IV cases. I could be completely off-base but we’ll find out after Christmas.