Mothering Thru Melanoma

My walk through the scary world of cancer while caring for my family.

My Story October 25, 2010

After a month of calling around to try and find a dermatologist, I decided I couldn’t wait any more. I contacted my General Practitioner to at least have someone look at the mole that had seemed to change overnight.

Knowing there wasn’t much the GP could do but hoping she could get me in to see a dermatologist, I went thinking she was going to tell me that even though it looked angry, it would turn out to be nothing.  The appointment went as planned…she looked at it and called a local dermatologist.  I couldn’t get in to see the actual dermatologist but they could get me in to see a Physician’s Assistant.  Good enough for me! Finally, this scary mole would be looked at.

Once at the dermatoloogist’s, the PA agreed that the mole was extremely angry and needed to be removed immediately.  He did a deep incision in order to get a really good sample for testing. The PA spoke to me about the possibilities but suggested I not jump automatically to melanoma.  He said he would call on Wednesday or Thursday of the following week with the results.  Being a holiday weekend, I knew it was gonna be a long one.

I did fairly well all weekend believing they weren’t going to find anything.  I even managed to get some sleep and put it out of my mind for the most part. Tuesday came and most of the day passed without too much stress about it. While sitting at home with my boys, a number came up on my iPhone that I didn’t recognize. It didn’t occur to me that it would be the dermatologist with my results as they weren’t supposed to call until Wednesday or Thursday.  That was until the same number popped up on my home phone and reality sunk in…they were calling earlier than planned.

The call started normally enough but within minutes my life had changed…I had melanoma…nodular melanoma. The PA went on to say that I was Stage IV which from my research was not good.  After a couple of breakdowns and lots of tears, I decided I had things to do and dying of melanoma was not one of them!!

We are still very early in the process and won’t know the real specifics for a few more days.  In the hopes of keeping my family and friends informed and up-to-date without having to retell the stories over and over, I decided to create this webpage.

All positive thoughts, prayers, good vibes and support are greatly appreciated!!

This is the mole that seemed to go bad almost overnight! This was right at the beginning when it began to itch. I tried to find a dermatologist but there are none that are accepting new patients on Cape Cod.

This is the mole at its scariest when I knew I needed to see a doctor right away…only 4-6 weeks after the above picture was taken.  This is what the GP sent to Boston for the pathologists to look at.


One Response to “My Story”

  1. Ruth Powers Says:

    I was diagnosed with melanoma last week. I have an eleven-month-old too. You have my good energy. Any info about anticancerigenous food and supplements? My uncle, he is a doctor, told me is better to stop breastfeeding before surgery. I am confused about that. I haven’t decided yet what I am going to do. I think I need to read more.

    From your posts you seem a very strong person to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s